Saturday, April 16, 2005

Chess For Dummies

Almost a week of micro drills and I'm starting to feel more confortable with the exercises. My ability to spot queens forks has incresead greatly, and I can't wait to try it on real games. I've also created some more drills to complement my chess vision training.

As I'm getting quickier through the drills(around 30 minutes for both Concetric Squares and Knight Sight), that's time to start a book. My chess knowledge is so little that makes it hard to know where to start.

What upsets me the most now is my lack of opening knowledge. I know general principles like control central squares, do not move the same piece twice, develop knights before bishops etc, but that's not enough. When playing games different from 1. e4, e5, the whole situation seems strange to me. I lose a lot of time trying to figure out what are my opponents plan, and what I should play, but usually get nowhere. Openings, in special, is something I must study as soon as I get a better general understanding of the game.

By now, to build up this "general understading", what I need is a beginners book. A book that does not confuse me with a lot of variations and deep strategic issues, something that just passes basic ideias. I chose "Chess For Dummies" by James Eade, which I already had at home. This book seems to be an easy reading, just what I was looking for.

2 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Blogger knightwiz said...

Good question! uhaehe

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

I've got the dummie book :)
Got it from my babe. Finished it a long time ago, and really liked it. It's a good choice for a beginners book :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home