Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Yahoo! Games

Since I started playing chess for serious, I've been looking for a place to play on the net. I see many of the knights play on ICC, but this telnet+winboard interface is confusing for me, so I decided to play on Yahoo! Games. They have a pretty interface, and many, many people to play(usually 8000+ online players).

I played there a while ago, under a different login, and got a rating around 1250, but I was losing most of the blitz games(1/0, 2/0, 5/0). Now I'll be playing just slow games, guess that's the best way to learn and improve. Nothing better than THINK ahn? :)

Player information for knightwizzy:

Rating: 1200
Games Completed: 0
Abandoned Games: 0
Wins: 0
Losses: 0
Draws: 0
Streak: 0

8 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Nezha said...

I thought you play at FICS? I added you to my notify list there via "+notify knightwizzy". If you can, please log-on there too from time to time.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

I played at Yahoo! consistently from about 1999 - 2004. Early in 2004, I found out about FICS (thanks to Chessville Forum). Then, I learned about a free interface I could download to make my FICS experience much better (infinitely better!), also thanks to Chessville Forum. Let me tell you, FICS is MUCH better than Yahoo! You won't have nearly as many cheaters and miscreants as you do from Yahoo!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger knightwiz said...

Nezha,

I registered to FICS recentely but haven't been using because of the interface. Anyway I'll start logging there, at least to talk to some of the knights. If you see me there, say hello =)

Celtic Death,

Which is this interface you are using on FICS? I just know about the Telnet+WinBoard, if you know something easier, please let me know.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

The one I was recommended and which I swear by is found at www.babaschess.net. It rocks!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Yeah, BabasChess is a cool interface but I still prefer Winboard over the others. If you want a graphical experience your best bets are probably playchess.com or US Chess Live.

But my choice would be ICC because you can do mostly everything with mouse clicks. Even seek for games. They have a utility called the seek graph that lets you see who is looking for games that meet your criteria and you set your variables with check boxes instead of commands.

PS

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

With Babaschess on FICS, you can see use a seek graph as well, Pawn Sensei.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Oops. Sorry, I forgot about that.

PS

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger scitcat said...

www.jinchess.com has a really nice interface for use with ICC and FICS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home