Thursday, April 28, 2005

To play or not to play?

That's the question(I've been thinking lately). When I started studying chess, mainly in the de la Maza's scheme(I'm still on the visual exercises), I believed something like 'the more I play, the better!', but now I'm wondering if that's really correct.

I feel like when I play too many games in a row I don't benefit much from them. I forget the mistakes of the earlier games, and probably start to repeat them. So, how much should I play? Once a week? Once a day? Many games a day? I'm inclined to play one(and just one) slow game a day, with futher analisys and reflection on my mistakes. Don't know if it's the best way to go, but I'll give it a try.

Between, I'm still doing the micro drills, and finishing the "Chess For Dummies" book. Hope I can get to the circles soon...

4 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

One or two serious long games per week (2 hours per person per game)is the regimen I use. And a tourney 5 times a year of 7-9 long games. Further I play once or twice a week a few games on FICS.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Ditto with what Tempo said. Also, try and find a good chess club in your area. You can usually find strong competition against opps that play a variety of types of openings at chess clubs.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Like I said on Blue Devil's site, I play one 30 30 game a day, two on weekends. Unless it turns out to be only 10 to 15 minutes, I stop there and analyze with Fritz. I use Winboard to review the opening if I need to. My coach told me to do approx 50% studying, 50% playing.

PS

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Nezha said...

I started to play everyday or as much as I can. Its the only way to get good. The evxercises are just that exercises. ITs no substitute for the real thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home